Sunday, April 11, 2010

How to make a cuff bracelet


I wanted to do a work in progress post for anyone interested in making a cuff bracelet or just wondered how they were made. I thought I'd show how I made one.

I am not a great planner when I make something; I am more of a design as I go kind of Gal.

Making the cabochon is my first step because everything is designed around it. I made this garden Cabochon with polymer clay and mounted it in the center of a strip of stiff interfacing that measures about 2 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. While the glue dried I picked out the beads I wanted to use to stitch the bezel. Then I stitched the bezel using a peyote Stitch.


I began to embellish the cuff band with some cool accent beads I had in my bead stash. This bracelet is for The Polymer Clay Smooshers "Flight" challenge so I thought the Swarovski crystal and enamel butterflies would be perfect for that theme.


I wanted to use the beads to show motion and start to create some flow...


I started to add some green crystals and crystal flower beads to bring in the flowers from the cabochon. It's a bummer that the crystal flowers don't show well in these photos I'll make sure they show better in finished piece photos.

As I'm working I like to lay it over the brass form to make sure it's flowing and laying in a visually pleasing way. So far I am liking how it's looking .

Now I need to spend some more time finishing this side of the cuff and then start on the other side. As I do I will take more photos and post them along with the finished piece for you.

I am looking forward to entering the piece along with all of my other guild mates project in Polymer Clay Smooshers Guild "Flight" challenge. You can check out our guild blog at http://polymerclaysmooshers.blogspot.com for lots of great polymer clay information and inspiration.

No comments: