Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Branching out

I have been thinking for some time now about starting an online craft supply shop and I am getting closer to that goal by starting to write a business plan.
There are so many options to consider................
1.] Do I want to hire someone to maintain a website for me or do I want to open it on Etsy?
[pro] Having my own website would be nice because I have complete control.
[con] I would have to start from ground zero with no traffic.
[pro] Etsy has a established crafting traffic. Fees are reasonable and website format is already there.
[con] Lots of competition.

2.] What kinds of supplies do I want to carry...... Specialize in one medium or carry a variety of mediums?

3.] If I had my own website would I offer tutorials for any of mediums carried?

4.] Financing....Small Business loan/grants, low interest loan, 0 interest credit card.

5.] storage of merchandise is no problem I have a huge room lined with shelves ready to go.

These are just a few of the ideas rolling around in my head. I have a huge folder filled with wholesalers and contacts and other specifics.

Dreams are great they keep me motivated..................

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oooohhhhh, the possibilities are overwhelming, aren't they?
Myself, I would start it on Etsy and move from there as you have a following.

A word to the wise-- I just applied for my state sales tax license. I have received bunches of calls from folks selling creditcard machines and all sorts of cr*p. Keep your answering machine plugged in :)

Ginger said...

LOL I remember the same thing happened when I got my license; they made me crazy.
I am really considering Etsy and DaWanda too maybe even Ebay.
Jose and I have been talking about it for a couple of years now. Overhead selling online is a lot less then a B&M. It has it cons as well.
Overwhelming for sure but I am in no hurry. I am still in the research stage. It could be fun...