Sunday, January 24, 2010

What is bead embroidery?























































I am often asked act craft shows how I make my jewelry and I try to break it down to a simple general example. So I thought it would be fun to do on my blog too except it is more fun on the blog because I can use photos.

In today's blog I am going to talk about my favorite beading technique....bead embroidery.


Bead embroidery is a very useful technique to learn because with it you can turn a gemstone,shell,button,flat found object into a beautiful piece of jewelry. I love to use it to show off polymer clay pendant bases that I enjoy making.

To begin the pendant I glue the polymer clay base to a square piece of very stiff interfacing and while it's drying I pick out the beads I want to use from my stash.

After the glue dries with a needle and thread I sew on each bead developing the pattern. I'd like to say I start my projects will a clear vision of what it's going to look like but I don't. I usually design my projects as I make them and let the design develop naturally. [photo 1&2].

When all the base patterned beading is done I trim away all the extra interfacing and glue it to a piece of ultra suede backing hiding all the stitches and giving the pendant a a nice finished back. The next step is to stitch the 2 backings together and edge the pendant. Add a beaded bail and the pendant's done. [ photo 3&4]

Next I go through my bead stash find what I like and bead the necklace and TaDa a necklace.....

If you think you might be interested in learning more bead embroidery I recommend buying a copy of Bead and Button or Beadwork magazine and try one of the beginner projects or use the reference section to learn some of the basics to see if it's the technique for you.





6 comments:

Jodie L. said...

Ginger, I've never tried this technique...but your explanation makes it sound VERY reasonable to do. Thank you for the pictures, so it's easy to see the process.

Q: Do you use Sobo Glue when you attach the cabachon to the interface material and the leather??

Melobeau said...

Ginger, Thanks so much for taking the time to share this marvelous tute. You break it down into easy steps that make it seem less daunting and the photos are so helpful.

Ginger said...

Hi Jodie, I am glad I sparked your interest in Bead embroidery. It is a technique that with practice is only limited by the imagination. I really love it...

I don't see why you couldn't use Sobo. I like to use E-600 it's stinky but it really works well.

I sure hope you give it a try....

Ginger said...

Thank you Anita I am so glad, I hope it will spark some interest in others.

Anonymous said...

From your picture it looks like you used embroidery cloth...like the one used for cross stitch as well...but you say it was stiff interfacing. Thank you for the tute. Absolutely love your necklace! Thanks for sharing. I will have to give it a try.

Ginger said...

Thank you Miramecreations, I am glad you found it interesting....
It does like a little like cross stitch fabric, however it is very stiff interfacing that is relatively in expensive when bought off the bolt.

Cross stitch fabric will work but it is problematic because when the cut the edges are rough and snags and weakens the thread.